The ClearBridge Large Cap Value Portfolios are designed for investors seeking long-term growth using a large-capitalization value investment style. Lead portfolio managers Robert Feitler and Dmitry Khaykin and their team use a disciplined value approach that seeks to provide competitive returns relative to the Russell 1000 Value Index.
- Exploit market inefficiencies through an interactive, research-driven approach that identifies companies with strong business franchises and attractive valuations
Strong business franchises
- Proven business models that we understand
- Companies with sustainable competitive advantage
- Capable of generating solid returns across a range of potential scenarios
- Timing and probability of cash flows
- Discount earnings from emerging business models or products
- Evaluate price relative to normalized earnings power
- Designed for investors seeking to invest in high-quality large-cap companies trading at an attractive valuation
- Diversified portfolio seeks to offer competitive risk-adjusted returns
- Invest in strong franchises with proven business models capable of compounding value over time
- Look for intrinsic value — attractive valuation relative to sustainable cash flow
- Strong focus on fundamental analysis with an emphasis on stress testing companies under various scenarios
- Fairly concentrated and low-turnover portfolio
Diversification does not guarantee a profit or protect against a loss.
There is no guarantee that the Portfolio's objectives will be met.
Define the investment universe
- Invests in U.S. large-cap companies with market capitalizations typically greater than $5 billion, which may include ADRs.
- Review financial statements and understand industry competitive dynamics.
- Work interactively with analysts and perform scenario analysis.
- Attractive valuation emphasizing normalized earnings power while heavily discounting profits from unproven business models.
- Combine bottom-up fundamental analysis with macro outlook to construct diversified Large Cap Value portfolio.
- Target equity position size generally ranges from 1-4% of the total portfolio.
- While seeking characteristics similar to the Russell 1000 Value Index benchmark with attractive risk-adjusted returns.
Risk management and review/sell process
- Diversified portfolio by sector and security; continuously monitor existing holdings; dedicated risk management team assists CIO and portfolio managers in controlling investment risks.
- Reduce or eliminate holdings that exceed position size limits, are approaching full valuation, or that do not meet fundamental expectations -- or in response to more attractive opportunities.
The investment process may change over time. The characteristics set forth above are intended as a general illustration of some of the criteria the strategy team considers in selecting securities for client portfolios. There is no guarantee investment objectives will be achieved.
meet your managers
With a legacy dating back over 50 years, ClearBridge Investments is a leading global equity manager committed to delivering differentiated long-term results through authentic active management.
Managing Director, Portfolio Manager
Managing Director, Portfolio Manager
Managing Director, Private Client Portfolio Manager
What I Should Know
All investments involve risk, including loss of principal and there is no guarantee that investment objectives will be met. Investments may be made in mid-cap companies, which involve a higher degree of risk and volatility than investments in larger, more established companies. While most investments are in U.S. companies, investments may also be made in ADRs and other securities of non-U.S. companies in developed and emerging markets which involve risks in addition to those ordinarily associated with investing in domestic securities, including the potentially negative effects of currency fluctuation, political and economic developments, foreign taxation and differences in auditing and other financial standards. These risks are magnified in emerging markets.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Separately Managed Accounts (SMAs) are investment services provided by Legg Mason Private Portfolio Group, LLC (LMPPG), a federally registered investment adviser. Client portfolios are managed based on investment instructions or advice provided by one or more of the following Legg Mason-affiliated sub-advisers: ClearBridge Investments, LLC. Management is implemented by LMPPG, the designated sub-adviser or, in the case of certain programs, the program sponsor or its designee.
Professional money management may not be suitable for all investors. Factual information relating to the securities discussed was obtained from sources believed to be reliable, but there can be no guarantee as to its accuracy. It should not be assumed that investments made in the future will be profitable or will equal the performance of the securities discussed in the material.
Portfolio characteristics (Source: FactSet)
Source: FactSet. Portfolio characteristics are based on a model portfolio, not an actual client account. The model portfolio is a hypothetical portfolio whereby the portfolio characteristics are based on simulated trading and account activity of a client account invested in this strategy. The model portfolio assumes no withdrawals, contributions or client-imposed restrictions.
Portfolio characteristics of individual client accounts may differ from those of the model portfolio as a result of account size, client-imposed restrictions, the timing of client investments, market conditions, contributions, withdrawals and other factors.
|Period||Total Return (Net, %)
||Total Return (*Pure Gross, %)
||Benchmark Return (%)
|% of Bundled Fee Portfolios in the Composite
3 Yr. St. Dev. (%)
3Yr. St. Dev. (%)
Composite Assets at End of Period (USD million)
|Percentage of Firm Assets
Firm Assets at End of Period (USD million)
*Pure gross of fee returns do not reflect the deduction of any expenses, including transaction costs, and are presented as supplemental to the net of fee returns.
ClearBridge Investments, LLC claims compliance with the Global Investment Performance Standards (GIPS®) and has prepared and presented this report in compliance with the GIPS standards. ClearBridge Investments, LLC has been independently verified for the periods January 1, 1997 - December 31, 2018. The verification reports are available upon request.
Verification assesses whether (1) the firm has complied with all the composite construction requirements of the GIPS standards on a firm-wide basis and (2) the firm's policies and procedures are designed to calculate and present performance in compliance with the GIPS standards. Verification does not ensure the accuracy of any specific composite presentation.
ClearBridge Investments, LLC ("ClearBridge") is a wholly owned subsidiary of Legg Mason, Inc. ("Legg Mason"). The investment advisory business now known as ClearBridge was registered in September 2005 to facilitate Legg Mason's acquisition of substantially all the equity asset management businesses known as Citigroup Asset Management. These former businesses serve as the foundation of ClearBridge and its claim of GIPS compliance for institutional accounts through predecessor firms, effective as of January 1997. In June 2008, ClearBridge combined this business with its retail business to form a single GIPS firm. As of April 1, 2013 and January 1, 2016, ClearBridge's affiliates, Global Currents Investment Management, LLC, and ClearBridge, LLC, respectively, have become part of the ClearBridge GIPS firm.
The ClearBridge Large Cap Value SMA composite consists of discretionary wrap accounts with an account minimum of US $25,000. Accounts within the composite seek long-term capital appreciation by investing in securities with favorable risk-adjusted return characteristics. Investments are primarily made in large-capitalization U.S. companies but may also invest in mid-capitalization companies. The strategy is implemented by Legg Mason Private Portfolio Group, LLC (LMPPG). LMPPG claims compliance with the Global Investment Performance Standards (GIPS®). LMPPG has been independently verified for the periods January 1, 2013 - December 31, 2018. LMPPG is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Legg Mason, Inc and together with its sub-advisers, including ClearBridge, provides investment services primarily in investment programs sponsored by Sponsor Firms. To obtain a compliant presentation and/or the firm's list of composite descriptions, please contact email@example.com. The main risks of this strategy are General Investme nt Risk, Mid Cap Risk and Non-U.S. Investment Risk.
Input and Calculation Data:
The fee schedule currently in effect is 3.00% on all assets. Net of fee composite returns are calculated by reducing each monthly composite pure gross rate of return by the highest "bundled" fee charged (3.00%) annually, prorated to a monthly ratio. The "bundled" fee includes transaction costs, investment management, custodial, and other administrative fees. Effective January 1, 2013, the number of portfolios reflects a change from prior periods due to an aggregation of accounts as reported by one sponsor. As of January 2014, the internal dispersion of annual returns is measured by the asset-weighted standard deviation of portfolio returns included in the composite for the entire year. For prior years, the equal-weighted standard deviation was used. The composite employed a 10% significant cash flow policy which was discontinued in January 2012. A list of composite descriptions is available upon request. Policies for valuing portfolios, calculating performance, and preparing compliant presentations are available upon request. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results.
The Russell 1000® Value Index measures the performance of the large-cap value segment of the U.S. equity universe. Benchmark returns are not covered by the report of independent verifiers.