Collective Investment Trusts (CITS)
The Potentially Lower-Cost Retirement Investment
Collective investment trusts (CITs) are pooled retirement investment vehicles maintained by a bank or trust company. They are only available through certain retirement plans. CITs can offer performance and benefits similar to mutual funds, but typically at lower costs.
As a result, CITs can mean sizable retirement plan savings, making them a potentially attractive option for plan sponsors and plan participants.
$3 Trillion and Counting
Many plan sponsors are choosing CITs to meet their ERISA-dictated fiduciary and legal obligations to offer low-cost investment options to plan participants. Today, more than $3 trillion in retirement savings are invested in CITs, in both defined benefit and defined contribution plans.1
Making the Choice
Plan sponsors and their financial advisors are exploring CITs subadvised by investment managers who also manage well-established mutual funds. Please contact your Legg Mason representative for more information about CITs.
A guide to collective investment trusts (CITs), tax-exempt, pooled investment vehicles - a popular investment choice of defined contribution (DC) plan sponsors.
Collective Investment Trust Offerings
- BrandywineGlobal US Fixed Income
- BrandywineGlobal Investment Grade Fixed Income
- BrandywineGLOBAL – Diversified Large Cap Value
- ClearBridge International Growth
- ClearBridge Mid Cap
- ClearBridge Large Cap Growth
- ClearBridge Small Cap
- ClearBridge Small Cap Growth
- Total Advantage Target Date Series
- Martin Currie Emerging Markets Equity
- QS International Equity DBI
- QS US Small Capitalization Equity
- QS Global Diversification Based Investing
- Royce Opportunity
- Royce Total Return
- Western Asset Core Bond
- Western Asset Core Plus Bond
- Western Asset Income
- Western Asset Long Duration Credit
1 Source: http://www.alpsinc.com/insights/launching-a-collective-investment-trust
All investments involve risk, including loss of principal. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Please see each product’s webpage for specific details regarding investment objective, risks, performance and other important information. Review this information carefully before you make any investment decision.