Since its founding in 1899 in Baltimore, Maryland, Legg Mason has evolved into one of the largest asset management firms in the world, serving individual and institutional investors on six continents.
Today's Legg Mason is a diversified group of global asset management firms ("affiliates") who are recognized for their proven investment expertise and long-term performance. The principal investment affiliates of Legg Mason are among the industry leaders in their respective areas of specialization, with unique investment approaches that have been developed over decades. The distinctive Legg Mason “multi-affiliate” business model provides clients with a broad spectrum of Equity, Fixed Income, Liquidity and Alternatives solutions, from mutual funds to college savings plans to variable annuities to separately managed accounts.
Legg Mason affiliates operate with investment autonomy, with each affiliate pursuing its own unique investment philosophy and process and maintaining its own investment culture, in order to create sustainable value for its clients. Legg Mason provides global distribution and invests in growth through core strategic services including capital allocation for product development, investing in our existing affiliates and making new acquisitions.
The diversification and balance of Legg Mason have fueled the company’s performance over its 30 year history as a public company. Legg Mason is one of the largest asset managers in the world, with assets under management of $708 billion as of September 30, 2014.
2014 Annual Report
- A diversified global asset management firm, founded in 1899
- Headquartered in Baltimore, Maryland, USA
- Chief Executive Officer: Joseph A. Sullivan
- Common stock traded on the New York Stock Exchange (symbol: LM)
- $708 billion in assets under management as of September 30, 2014 (21st largest asset manager in the world) 1
- Approximately 2,900 employees with 29 offices around the world including New York, Miami, London, Tokyo, Singapore, Hong Kong, Dubai, Melbourne and São Paulo
- Principal affiliates include: Western Asset Management (Fixed Income), Permal Group (Global alternative Funds of Funds), Royce and Associates (Small-cap equity), ClearBridge Investments (Quality focused equity), Brandywine Global (Global value investing), Martin Currie (Active equity specialists) and QS Investors (Systematic investment solutions)
- Global distribution capabilities with leading partners, including banks, brokerage firms, insurance companies and independent advisors
Legg Mason is committed to investing beyond benchmarks and uncovering opportunities and value for investors. Watch our video and learn more about what makes us a leader in active asset management.
1Source: Pensions and Investments, as of 12/31/13